Editorial

Buhari supports Jonathan's initiative, pays YouWin awardees




– The minister of finance echoes the present administration’s plans for the project

– Explains that it is out to make a change as it had publicly declared

President Muhammadu Buhari has paid N1.6 billion to about 638 youths under the Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria (YouWin) programme, thereby showing his huge support for his predecessor, Dr Goodluck Jonathan.

The Cable.ng reports that the present administration took it upon itself to reward the young Nigerians who made the said money during the Jonathan-led administration.

This new development has all but quashed initial fears that President Buhari may outrightly scrap the programme, as there had been series of protests over the delay in grants.

Ex-president Goodluck Jonathan, during one of the events organised to herald YouWin.
The director at the ministry of information, Na’inna Dambatta, informed however, that the money has been paid, adding that 18, 000 young entrepreneurs were trained in management and business skills for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).

He stated further that 3, 900 of the trainees, including 1, 200 women, were given non-repayable take-off grants ranging from N1 million to a maximum of N10 million for businesses of their choice.

According to him: “The third edition of the programme, which is still running with 1,500 beneficiaries has received the sum of N11.2 billion in funding.

“So far, grants totaling N7.4 billion have been disbursed to the awardees.”

Speaking also on the latest development, Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria’s minister of finance, informed that the Buhari-led government is working on restructuring the programme to match her ‘change’ mantra, adding that everyone who benefited from the scheme would be properly verified, using the bank verification number (BVN) especially, before disbursements are made.

Meanwhile, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, Nigeria’s minister of Information, has revealed that the federal government has fulfilled its promise of providing adequate jobs for youths in the country.

The minister said the federal government has commenced the creation of jobs across the country in fulfillment of its campaign promises.

Speaking on Monday, June 13, at the south south town hall meeting in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state, organized by his ministry, Mohammed said the recruitment of 500,000 teachers had commenced through the online portal ‘npower.gov.ng‘, Vanguard reports.

He listed other direct job creation and training schemes that are ongoing which include the N-Power Knowledge, which is training 25,000 Nigerians in technology and N-Power Build, which is training another 75,000 Nigerians in building services.




No comments